The medieval town of Korcula is located on the northeastern coast of the same name island. The old core of the town is specific because of the structure of blocks arranged in the shape of fish bones. The streets are surrounded by walls and towers whose construction started back in the 13th century. Arrival to the old town is via two entrances, the main overland entrance, and the seagoing entrance.
The city was for the first time under the Venetian authorities 1000 of the year, and from 10th centuries dating back oldest sources about the construction process. The statute of the town and the island of Korcula, which dates back to 1214 of the year, its provisions have made an impact on the appearance and the urban development of the old town. The statute of the Korcula’s commune is the oldest Croatian collection of the rights and one of the first legal monuments of Slavic peoples, which regulate life in the medieval town. The 13th century was for Korcula equally important and because of the personality of Marco Polo. Marco Polo, who according to numerous historians born in Korcula, was the world’s famous Imperial emissary, trader and travel writer.
Old town of Korcula
The researcher, who is with their works for the first time, approached the distant China with Europe, captured in the naval battle between Venice and Genoa, which occurred near the town of Korcula, 1298 of the year, in front of the Cape of Ražnjić in Lumbarda. The remains of the life and works of Marco Polo today are the biggest tourist curiosity, but also attractions of the island.
In the old town, from April to October, you can visit the House of Marco Polo. Near the House of Marco Polo, in a centuries-old Palace located is a luxury hotel Lesic Dimitri Palace, arranged according to the so-called “Silk Roads” of Marco Polo. The name of the most famous man from Korcula carries and a Museum, a hotel, restaurants, pizzerias, souvenir shops and a number of events, among which stands out the international Marco Polo Fest. 15th and 16th century, this city was marked with the Gothic-Renaissance architecture. The most beautiful and the most valuable monument of this architecture is certainly a magnificent Cathedral of St. Mark, which is located in the core of the old town, on the homonymous square. At St. Mark’s square, along with the Cathedral, it is possible to see and the former bishop’s palace which is today Abbot’s treasury, with valuable exhibits and City Museum Korcula, located in a Renaissance palace Gabrijelis. Historical remains are located and on a small square at the entrance to the old town, along with the so-called Land gate, where since 1485 of the year, is located the Revelin Tower. In today’s administrative center of the city, the square of Antun and Stjepan Radic, is located the municipal town hall from the 16th century, the Church of St. Michael (15th century), the Memorial Chapel of our Lady of the snows, the Renaissance Courtroom and for many people very interesting armory – arsenal from 1572 of the year.
Town of Korcula Marina
Along with the beautiful streets and squares, Korcula has many of the coats of arms of bishops, Princes and royalty that can be seen on the facades of the Korcula’s houses. For over a century the town of Korcula is proud of fight black and White Kings for the hand of Bula displayed in the sword dance Moreska. Although Moreska is not the indigenous origin, along with Marco Polo, this is one of the biggest attractions of this town and part of the cultural tradition. Visitors to the island Korcula can in this unique performance of Moreska regularly enjoy during all the summer months, and the special feel, this dance will leave on the day of St. Todor, 29th July. Although the St. Marko is a patron of the town of Korcula, the cult of St. Todor is celebrated since the 18th century. One of the sights of this town is the head of St. Anthony, monticule overlooking the Korcula archipelago. The head of St. Anthony is a half an hour’s walk from the center of the town in the direction of Lumbarda. To the top of the Hill on which is the Church of St. Anthony from a 14th century, lead 102 stairs and an avenue of Cypress. The head of St. Anthony is always worth a visit, but the biggest celebration takes place 13th June on the feast of St. Anthony.
Among the 19th of the island of Korcula archipelago, unavoidable is the largest one, the island of a Badija. Badija is located in the eastern part of the Peljesac channel and is a 20-minute boat ride from Korcula.Small boats transporting up to 15 people and sail every half hour. The Church and the Franciscan monastery of the assumption of Mary, from a 14th century, which dominate in a Badija, a well-known is the religious, cultural and educational center, and in the past a sports center and a resort. Along with a Badija a special place among the islands of Korcula archipelago occupies Vrnik. Island Vrnik was the only inhabited island of Peljesac canal and place of the oldest and most famous quarry. Of stone from this island were built world famous buildings, including Turkey Hagia Sophia, the Viennese Parliament and many others. This ancient quarry where are worked up to 600 people, is a proof of stone carving tradition and the work of industrious people of the island of Korcula. To the Vrnik Island is coming from Lumbarda in the area of the Krmača from where is the 100 m of a strait to the Vrnik.