is an ancient village in the past called “Kzarra” with about 600 inhabitants. Cara is located in the centre of the island Korčula about 23km from the old town of Korčula.
Prehistoric mounds and ruins, tombstones and Roman Villa’s Rustica witness the early settlement of the region.
Scattered on the southern slopes and surrounding hills where Čara stands is “Čarsko polje” (Cara field) with it’s spacious vineyards and year-round sun exposure. These fertile vineyards are cultivated with the island native grape Pošip (Poship), the first legally protected white wine.
Among the vineyards where people worked all their lives is a place of their eternal rest. By the cemetery is the church of” Our Lady of Cara Field” dating back to the 14th century. At the beginning of the 17th century, it was restored and after obtaining the English alabaster relief
depicting the mysteries of the life of Blessed Virgin Mary, a shrine became a place of pilgrimage for locals and visitors to the island.
The pilgrimage takes place on July 25 and September 8 each year. Mystics of the Church binds with the legend according to which our Lady of Čara field in 1686 appeared to a shepherd Tasovac from Čara in the nearby Bay, Čavića.
Čarsko Polje, (Cara Field), Posip
On the feast of St. James (July 25) “The Protector of Čara”, locals have their morning rituals of gathering their boats for blessings in the Ćaviča Bay and therefore the statue of Our Lady of Čara field is carried through the church procession. In addition, towards the evening there is the main annual sword dance performed by “Kumpanija Čara”.
Church of Saint Peter, Cara Korcula
The spiritual life of the inhabitants of Čara takes place in the parish church of St. Peter, which is located in the town center.
The main altar of the church is characterized by the outstanding Italian Renaissance artist Leandro Bassano “Doubting Tomas” of the late 16th century. In the Church square of St. Peter grows the oldest cypress tree for which is believed to be around 500 years old. In 1825. the cypress tree was legally protected and is considered the oldest tree on the island of Korčula.
A few blocks north of the church stands one of the nobles Španić resedential home “Kaštil” built in 1674. and today renovated and privately owned.
In the center you can see the monument to the brothers Crnomiri. Crnomiri according to legend, were a powerful family with nine brothers and sisters who lived in Čara.
Peter Crnomir was the leader of the village who was later killed by the Venetian duke. The Legend of Crnomiri now lives in the spirit of the inhabitants of Čara. The struggle for freedom, justice, and equality,without external oppression is what makes this valuable to it’s people. Dry stone walls(“meje”), abandoned houses and some hard to reach vineyards are proof of hard life and hard labor of this little village . The population in the past engaged in agriculture, wine-making, olive growing and fishing, and more recently tourism. Tourism is especially developed in the beautiful bay, 2 km from Čara called Zavalatica.
The untouched nature, beautiful bays, processed olive groves and vineyards of the famous wine Posip , the shrine of Our Lady of Cara Field , the guardians of tradition “Sword dance” Kumpanija is what makes the village of Čara.